How to Choose the Right HVAC Contractor
The world is changing at breakneck speeds with our modern world demanding modern solutions to age old problems – like heating and cooling your home. While getting the most energy efficient and productive heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system in your home should be your ultimate goal, you should also look for some of that old world quality craftsmanship that comes from a seasoned and trained professional. When choosing the right HVAC professional for your home or business, you need the best of both worlds.
Reins Heating & Air Conditioning Ltd. is that service, offering quality and guaranteed equipment for more than 25 years with certified technicians, excellent customer service, detailed estimates, and the latest technology from the initial installation to routine maintenance and emergency repairs.
Tips to Keep in Mind when Searching for an HVAC Contractor
We understand you can’t be expected to calculate your home’s heating or cooling needs, or know how to choose the right service provider, like Reins Heating & Air Conditioning Ltd. In calling upon the ENERGY STAR® initiative, a voluntary partnership between the Government of Canada and industry to promote energy efficiency, here are a few tips on hiring a heating and cooling contractor:
- Study up - Find out about license and insurance requirements for contractors, know the model of your current system and its maintenance history, and note uncomfortable rooms to help potential contractors better understand your heating needs.
- Ask for referrals - Ask friends, neighbors, and co-workers for contractor referrals.
- Call references - Ask contractors for customer references and call them - was the job completed on time and within budget.
- Find special offers - check around for available rebates on energy-efficient heating and cooling equipment.
- Efficiency - ENERGY STAR is the mark of high-efficiency products in Canada.
- Home evaluation - the contractor should spend significant time inspecting your current your duct system (if applicable) for air leaks, check your insulation, and measure airflow to make sure it meets manufacturer’s specifications.
- Get written, itemized estimates - compare cost, energy efficiency, and warranties. A lowest price may not be the best deal.
- Get it in ink - Sign a written proposal with a contractor before work gets started, specifying project costs, model numbers, job schedule, and warranty information.
Advice from ENERGY STAR
In choosing the right contractor, according to ENERGY STAR Guide to Energy Efficient Cooling and Heating, a reputable contractor should:
- Perform an on-site inspection of the work needed with a detailed bid in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate that the company is licensed and insured to repair and install heating and cooling equipment.
- Be able to provide his/her certification for refrigerant handling, required since 1992.
- Have several years of experience as a business in your community.
- Provide examples of quality installation of energy-efficient heating and/or cooling equipment work, with names of customers that you can contact.
- Complete and submit the warranty information card on your behalf.
- Leave all equipment manuals and provide documentation of installation procedures, including sizing calculations, HRAI certificate, and records of any testing.
- Clearly explain the benefits of regular maintenance and help you set up a schedule to keep your system operating at its best.
Contact Reins Heating & Air Conditioning in Kingston
If you have questions or concerns about your HVAC System, need repairs or maintenance, or even a new energy-efficient system, call Reins Heating & Air Conditioning Ltd. at 613-542-8256 today for service in Kingston and the surrounding area.